full screen background image

Dervish Banya

     Dervish Banya is a Turkish Medieval public bath in Kyustendil. It was built in 1566, which is known by the number sign made of red bricks on the facade wall of the bath. On the same facade wall there are two more brick inscriptions, indicating the years 1604 and 1835, when probably were made repairs of the building. The bath is built of shattered blocks of stone and red bricks.

 

     The name of the bath is connected with the word "dervish". In Bektashi dervish is one of the four lower grades for novices - ashyk, talib, muhib and dervish.

 

     Dervish Banya operates more than 400 years - to 1992. In 2005 it was fully restored. The bath is an architectural monument of culture.



View Larger Map

Do you know that:

  • the Roman baths in Kyustendil are the second by largest in Bulgaria.
  • the first fruit growing fair in the country was held in Kyustendil in 1896.
  • in the period 1952 - 2010 in the theater of Kyustendil 323 plays by 190 authors were performed .