full screen background image

Pirkova Tower

     The medieval defense tower in Kyustendil known under the name of Pirkova Tower is situated in the central part of the town near the Roman Therms. The name “Pirkova” comes from the Greek word ‘pirogs’, which means ‘tower’. This defense tower is considered to have been built at the end of 14th century and the beginning of 15th century.

 

     The tower has an almost square shape, sized 8,25 meters by 8,35 meters and is 15 meters in height. It has a ground floor and 3 other floors above, the third of which, in one of its halves, is divided in two semi floors. The ground floor functioned as storage. On the first floor there is a northern overarched entrance, a stone fireplace in the southern wall, which was used for heating, as well as two loopholes. The second floor was used for living. It has a fireplace, a niche, 3 vertical and 2 round loopholes and a gallery with a place for sanitary needs. The third floor was used for circular defense. In the late middle ages it has been turned into weapons warehouse.

 

     The Pirkova Tower gives evidence of the architectural and building techniques used in the defense system in the medieval town of Velbazhd.

 

     The tower is a monument of national importance.

 

     Address: 4 Kiril Tsonev Street, Kyustendil

 


View Larger Map

Do you know that:

  • the first Bulgarian school in the town of Kyustendil was established in 1820 in the courtyard of the church “Virgin Mary’s Assumption”.
  • Pautalia means “fountain”, “spring city” in translation.
  • the film “The Knight of the White Lady” was shot in Kyustendil.