full screen background image

Popnikolov’s House

     The house of Popnikolov was built in 1911 - 1912, in Modern Style, owned by the lawyer V. Popnikolov from Kyustendil.

 

     Author of the architectural project was architect A. Momov. The plastic decoration of the facades is made by the famous Bulgarian sculptor Ivan Lazarov. On the first floor there are the lounge of the lawyer, a kitchen, a dining room and a winter garden and on the second - the bedrooms and a wide sunny terrace overlooking Hissarluka. The angle to Demokratsia Street is enhanced with a jetty, crowned with a tower and a peaked roof. The facade is decorated with plastic initials and the year of construction, panels with floral ornaments under the windows, female masks above the windows and lions on the consoles which support the jetty. The fence, the railings and the stylish columns of the winter garden are decorated with metal elements. The house was furnished with Viennese furniture.

 

     The building is registered as a cultural monument. Currently it is used by the Union of Architects.

 

     Address: 27 Demokratsia Street, Kyustendil

 


View Larger Map

Do you know that:

  • the first woman - circus performer - Pavlina Pencheva is from Kyustendil.
  • the redwoods near the village of Bogoslov are the oldest and the highest in Bulgaria.
  • the Roman baths in Kyustendil are the second by largest in Bulgaria.