full screen background image

Iron Bridge over the River Banshtitsa

     The iron bridge, also known as The Bridge of the naked women is a bridge over the River Banshtitsa in Kyustendil.

 

     It was built in 1909 and was designed by the architect Rudolf Fischer and it connects the railway station with the central city square.

 

     In 1969 the bridge was rebuilt and expanded with reinforced concrete construction. At its four ends are placed naked sculptural female figures, symbolizing the generosity of nature in Kyustendil (fertility, hot springs) and the resistance movement. They are made of white stone from Vratsa by the sculptor Luben Dimitrov.



View Larger Map

Do you know that:

  • the first Bulgarian school in the town of Kyustendil was established in 1820 in the courtyard of the church “Virgin Mary’s Assumption”.
  • Hissarluka used to be completely deforested, but at the end of XIX and the beginning of XX century under the guidance of the forester Jordan Mitrev a coniferous forest was started.
  • the house of Prokopiev is the oldest preserved house of the period of Bulgarian National Revival in Kyustendil.