full screen background image

The Arch

     In place of the arch there was a theater complex with a library and community center, built with donations from the people of Kyustendil. It was demolished at the time of the mayor of Kyustendil Georgi Mihailov, by his personal order, despite of the repeated opposition demonstrated by townspeople. Only the entry arch from the eastern wall was saved, which is now part of a complex built in the city center. As a reason for the demolition had been presented a plan for the construction of a modern home of unions whose building does not even start.

 

     Nowadays, there is a stage behind the arch and a beautiful garden with benches, too. Different cultural events take place there.



View Larger Map

Do you know that:

  • Kyustendil used to be named Velevuzdion, Velbondzh, Konstantin’s bath Uludzha, Bath, Kolasia.
  • the first Bulgarian school in the town of Kyustendil was established in 1820 in the courtyard of the church “Virgin Mary’s Assumption”.
  • the famous mountaineer Ludmil Yankov lived in Kyustendil.