full screen background image

Church The Assumption of Virgin Mary

      The church was built in 1816 in place of the medieval church "St. Nicola". According to the design is a dug-in one-apsis pseudobasilica, which has three naves and wood backing. It is in the central part of Kyustendil, next to the square Velbuzhd.

 

      In 1820 a monastery school was built in the churchyard. Some valuable icons are preserved, including one of the early XIX century by Toma Vishanov. The northern and western narthex, candle works and an ossuary were built in 1933.

 

      The church is an impressive monument of Bulgarian Revival art. It has altar holy gates to the women's section (16th-17th centuries), preserved icons from the beginning of 19th century, an iconostasis and frescos painted by Ivan Dospevski. After the Liberation, in 1883 a church bell tower was built, replacing the monastery school. It is with a square plan and a height of 11 m.

 

      The church has been declared an architectural and art monument of national significance. It is currently a working temple as well.

 


View Larger Map

Do you know that:

  • the first woman - circus performer - Pavlina Pencheva is from Kyustendil.
  • the famous mountaineer Ludmil Yankov lived in Kyustendil.
  • the church “St. George” in Kyustendil is the oldest preserved medieval church in southwestern Bulgaria.