full screen background image

Late Medieval Church “St. Nikola the Miracle-Maker” - village of Slokoshtitsa

     The church is situated at the end of the upper quarter of the village Slokoshtitsa, on the left bank of the river Slokoska. It is a small, one-nave and one-apse building with semi cylindrical vault, having already been replaced with an eaves-shaped roof with dimensions of 7 x 5.30 meters. The church's patron St. Nichola is painted above the entrance and under it there is a two-line inscription with the date1886. By the sides of St. Nikola are the images of the Archangel Michael and Gabriel.


     The original church dates back to the 16th  century. It was reconstructed and restored in 1886. Inside it and on the church facades there are traces of several picture layers: late medieval of 16th -17th   c., after the Bulgarran Liberation (1878) and later one - from 1904. The late medieval murals are partly preserved under a plaster layer. According to the church donor's inscription on the western facade the after-Liberation murals date in 1886. They were icon-painted by Evstati Dimitrov from the village of Osoy. The paintings are simple but significant for the region.


     From Kyustendil to the church it is about 4 km.

View Larger Map

Do you know that:

  • the famous children's poet Vesa Paspaleeva is from Kyustendil.
  • During the period 1371-1395 Kyustendil was the capital of Velbuzhd’s region.
  • the first Bulgarian school in the town of Kyustendil was established in 1820 in the courtyard of the church “Virgin Mary’s Assumption”.