full screen background image

St. Trinity Church-Monument – village of Gyueshevo

     In the close of Bulgarian-Macedonian border, on the trace of the future railway Sofia – Skopie, there was built Trinity Church-monument in the village of Gyueshevo. In the border region during the wars in the beginning of 20th century a lot of Bulgarian soldiers and officers died. In their memoriam and to preserve their relics was built a church-monument officially sanctified on August 2nd, 1930 by Sofia Bishop Stephan.

 

     Authors of the project were architect Rudolf Fisher and Stoyan Dimitrov. The icons and the murals were pictured by Professor Georgi Hristov, Dimiter Gyudzhenov, Nikolay Kozhuharov and Vladimir Naumov and the iconostasis was wood-carved by architect Atanas Donkov.

 

     An ossuary was constructed under the altar where the relics of 18 officers and 1491 soldiers who have died for the Bulgarian Unification are kept. 

 

     It is about 20 km from Kyustendil to the church.



View Larger Map

Do you know that:

  • the famous children's poet Vesa Paspaleeva is from Kyustendil.
  • Kyustendil is one of the oldest towns in Bulgaria.
  • the renowned composer and conductor Marin Goleminov is from Kyustendil.