full screen background image

St. Trinity Church-Monument – village of Gyueshevo

     In the close of Bulgarian-Macedonian border, on the trace of the future railway Sofia – Skopie, there was built Trinity Church-monument in the village of Gyueshevo. In the border region during the wars in the beginning of 20th century a lot of Bulgarian soldiers and officers died. In their memoriam and to preserve their relics was built a church-monument officially sanctified on August 2nd, 1930 by Sofia Bishop Stephan.

 

     Authors of the project were architect Rudolf Fisher and Stoyan Dimitrov. The icons and the murals were pictured by Professor Georgi Hristov, Dimiter Gyudzhenov, Nikolay Kozhuharov and Vladimir Naumov and the iconostasis was wood-carved by architect Atanas Donkov.

 

     An ossuary was constructed under the altar where the relics of 18 officers and 1491 soldiers who have died for the Bulgarian Unification are kept. 

 

     It is about 20 km from Kyustendil to the church.



View Larger Map

Do you know that:

  • Kyustendil is applying for European Capital of Culture.
  • the first Bulgarian school in the town of Kyustendil was established in 1820 in the courtyard of the church “Virgin Mary’s Assumption”.
  • in 1966 Kyustendil was declared a national resort.