full screen background image

St. Prokopius Church – village of Stob

     The church is one-nave with a semi-vault arch edged with wood boards. It is situated next to the Stob's pyramids. It has three-rowed iconostasis. On the northern outer wall there is built in a stone cross on which has been cut the year of shrine building.

 

     The old church Saint Prokopii was initially built in 1373 A.C.E. Inscriptions on the stones of the old temple, which are currently part of the northern wall of the new one, indicate the exact date of construction. This is the only Bulgarian church named after Saint Prokopii.

 

     At the times of Muslim presence, the church was rising in the eastern part of the village above the Turkish houses and the Turks were complaining about this fact. This is the reason why the church was destroyed by the Turkish government shortly thereafter. In order for the new church to be built, there was required a permission from the sultan himself. Therefore, three Bulgarians traveled to Tzarigrad with a building request, which was granted to them by the ruler. Immediately after their return, the construction of the temple began on its current spot. The villagers moved the old church stone by stone and built the new one, which was christened in 1860. The altar was also moved.

 

     St. Procopius, whose name is the name of the church, is a defender of the young couples. It is interesting that 90% of the wishes of the future grooms who attend the church come true.

 

     It is about 57 km from Kyustendil to the church.

 


See larger map

Do you know that:

  • Kyustendil is one of the oldest towns in Bulgaria.
  • in Kyustendil there are about 40 hot springs with temperatures from 50 to 73
  • in the period 1952 - 2010 in the theater of Kyustendil 323 plays by 190 authors were performed .