full screen background image

Historical


Popnikolov’s House

Popnikolov’s House
     The house of Popnikolov was built in 1911 - 1912, in Modern Style, owned by the lawyer V. Popnikolov from Kyustendil.        Author of the architectural project was architect A. Momov. The plastic decoration of the facades is made by the famous Bulgarian…
Read more

Iron Bridge over the River Banshtitsa

Iron Bridge over the River Banshtitsa
     The iron bridge, also known as The Bridge of the naked women is a bridge over the River Banshtitsa in Kyustendil.        It was built in 1909 and was designed by the architect Rudolf Fischer and it connects the railway station with the…
Read more

Kadin Bridge – village of Nevestino

Kadin Bridge – village of Nevestino
     Kadin Bridge (Bride’s Bridge) is an impressive architectural monument  in the centre of Nevestino. This is a Medieval 100-meter long bridge built over the river Struma and has five circle vaults, the highest of which is in the middle. The architecture of the bridge…
Read more

The Cave of St. Ivan Rilski - village of Skrino

The Cave of St. Ivan Rilski - village of Skrino
     St. Ivan Rilski is a Bulgarian cleric - the most famous Bulgarian hermit and saint, celestial protector and patron of Bulgarian people. He was born in 876 in the village of Skrino and died in 946.        Southwest of the village, about half…
Read more

Do you know that:

  • with the help of Dimiter Peshev nearly 50,000 Jews were saved from sure death.
  • Pautalia means “fountain”, “spring city” in translation.
  • first Bulgarian publisher, Yakov Kraikov, was born in Kyustendil.